Friday 10 May 2013

Chickens: My bantams!

Nutmeg my Bufflaced Wyandotte Bantam.
Credit: birdbrain99 (Author)



Well you've probably seen my four large fowl hens, but three weeks ago today I got two bantams.  I haven't got many stories about them yet only having had them a few weeks. However, I can give you their main characters :)

My Buff laced Wyandotte Bantam, Meggie (short for Nutmeg).
Credit: birdbrain99 (Author).
Nutmeg is my Buff-laced Wyandotte Bantam, and is a shy little thing but quite jumpy. It took her a while to get used to me (about a week) but will now happily feed out of my hand. She has just gone broody (*Update*: I've written about that here.) In the first photo her wing is held in a strange position; don't worry! She was preening when I took the photo so it's quite normal:)
Pepper, my Barred Wyandotte bantam.
Credit: birdbrain99 (Author)




Pepper is my Barred Wyandotte Bantam and is from show stock. She did bully Nutmeg a bit at first but once the pecking order was established they get on fine. She loves to perch and comes running when you enter their area. Luckily, she has shown no signs of going broody.. fingers crossed!

Pepper scratching around.
Credit: birdbrain99 (Author).






What are bantams?

Bantams are like miniature chickens. You can get true bantams and miniatures of the large fowl breeds. Bantams are just small chickens. They do take up less space but if at all possible give them as much as the large fowl because most are very active. Bantams lay smaller eggs, but eat less and are great with children too. The smallest true bantam is the Dutch Bantam. My hens are both wyandottes, so not true bantams because you get them in large form also. Other true bantams include the Japanese Bantam, Rosecomb, Belgian bantams (Barbu d'anvers, Barbu d'Uccles, Barbu d'watermael and Barbu d'grubbe) Sebright and Pekin.
Dutch Bantam pullet. The smallest true bantam breed.
Credit: Laura Haggarty Permission: CC-BY-SA 3.0
 via Wikimedia Commons



2 comments:

  1. Hi a customer of mine is thinking about getting 2 or 3 chickens for fresh eggs, but I have noticed a family of urban foxes that live about 5 gardens away, do you think they would be much of a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for not replying sooner, I have been away. If the chickens have a secure run and coop, it shouldn't be such a problem. However, I have noticed that urban foxes come out in the day or early evening more than wild, country foxes. The chicken keepers will need to be more vigilant, making sure they lock the chickens up in the coop at night and so on, particularly in the winter when the foxes are more hungry. Check out my post on fox-proofing your chicken run which has some simple, easy ideas to prevent your chickens becoming a fox's dinner! However, these problems can be overcome and chickens are wonderful animals to keep. I hope your customer goes ahead and gets some wonderful hens.

      Delete